wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 pm 

Martin Miller's new book, "The Tragedy of Alice Miller", was published in Germany in earlier this year. It reveals some shocking things about Alice Miller's life history and about how she mistreated Martin, her own son! An article in a German magazine presents his account of what happened:
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/martin-millers-buch

I'm very grateful to the contributor on Barbara Rogers' site who translated it so much better than Google's clumsy version:
http://screamsfromchildhood.com/martin_miller.html

No doubt many Alice Miller readers will go into denial about this because they regarded her as an infallible guru.... a saviour beyond reproach by mere mortals. Just like the people on Daniel Mackler's old forum [now gone] who tried to excuse Alice Miller's abominable behaviour towards our host, Dennis, when he participated in Alice Miller's original forum [now gone].

Let me give you an example. If you go straight to the comments at the end of this blog post by an Alice Miller disciple you'll see what I mean. They are accusing Martin of "repressed anger" and other bad things. Note that "DM" refers to Daniel Mackler and "BR" refers to Barbara Rogers. Daniel Mackler wrote an essay titled "An Analysis of the Limits of Alice Miller':
Daniel Mackler wrote:
Can she truly believe that a single understanding person who witnesses a child for his truth one mere time is enough to make up for a whole childhood of abuse and stop its replication in adulthood? Then again, we must remember that she wrote these words in 1988, within the backdrop of believing herself already fully cured by Stettbacher and his method. Regardless, it is comforting wishful thinking for a “sometimes careless and neglecting” parent to believe that others might spare her child his inevitable place in the intergenerational trauma cycle.

I believe this older child that Alice Miller refers to is her son. She wrote about him in 1980 in the preface to For Your Own Good (Am Anfang war Erziehung). Her words are telling.

"Countless conversations with my son, Martin Miller, played an equally important role in this learning process. Again and again, he forced me to become aware of my unconscious compulsions, internalized during childhood and stemming from the upbringing common to my generation. His full, clear account of his experiences is partially responsible for my own liberation from the compulsions, a liberation that could be achieved only after I had developed an ear for the sophisticated and minute nuances of the pedagogical approach [that she addresses in the book]. Before writing down many of the ideas developed here, I discussed them thoroughly with my son. [p. xvii]"

I found myself truly surprised to read that Alice Miller, perhaps the greatest writer of her generation to hear the child’s hidden truth behind his manifested behavior, had not considered the possibility that her own son might have some motive to protect his mother. Clearly she was looking to her now adult child for support and rationalization of her own denial. This to me is like the slave-owner of a pre-Civil War plantation asking his slaves if they like their lot in life. What are they supposed to say?
And this is what Barbara Rogers had to say about Martin Miller's revelations:
http://screamsfromchildhood.com/martin_ ... eview.html

As some forum members may know, Sinead O'Connor was a follower of Alice Miller's advice concerning therapy. See how it turned out by reading this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189&p=2314#p2282

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

The protection of mothers and motherhood goes a long way. I noticed that the core of the people who idealized Alice Miller, were mothers themselves, relieving themselves from the responsibility and damage they had caused and were still causing to their children. As if they wanted to say: "See, it's not my fault what I did to you, it's because I was mistreated as well as a child." These mothers continue to express compassion for Alice Miller, but not compassion for their child or children in general. And when it's about the child of Alice Miller, they still choose the side of Alice.

So it was Martin who went in therapy with a student of Stettbacher and then sued him for improper therapy, which Alice Miller acknowledged, which let to her decision to break away from Stettbacher in her books? Quite a different story than she told the public.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm 

Some new info was recently added to the English Wikipedia article about Alice Miller....
Wikipedia wrote:
Miller died on April 14, 2010, at the age of 87 at her home in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence [20] by suicide after severe illness and diagnosis of advanced stage of pancreatic cancer. [21]
The reference cites Martin Miller's German text....
[21] Miller, Martin (2013). Das wahre „Drama des begabten Kindes“. Die Tragödie Alice Millers. Freiburg im Breisgau: Kreuz Verlag. p. 21-23.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Miller_(psychologist)
I couldn't find any coverage of Martin Miller's revelations on websites of English-language newspapers or magazines, but there's lots of coverage in German news media. This interview mentions the suicide (translate.google.com can output it in English)....

http://www.taz.de/!127332/

Another article ends by saying....
Quote:
Before her death by suicide the son received a brief call from Alice Miller on 14 April 2010 morning: "All the best for the future".
In German....
Vor ihrem Tod durch Suizid erhielt der Sohn einen kurzen Anruf von Alice Miller am 14. April 2010 morgens: „Alles Gute für die Zukunft!“
http://www.epochtimes.de/Martin-Miller- ... 08790.html

I wondered why there were no reports of Martin Miller's revelations in English-language news media. I think the reason is this....

When Alice Miller started recommending unproven therapy methods she lost influence beyond a loyal following of readers. Her post-Stettbacher books are seldom mentioned on university websites, although the first three have been cited quite often by academics. Banished Knowledge would probably have joined the list of well regarded works if it hadn't contained adulation for the psychotherapy method of a previously unknown therapist with no support from independent outcome studies. Later events showed Alice Miller had been deceiving herself about Stettbacher. The price she paid was fewer press interviews and a loss of influence in the public debate. Not only that, but her own experience in primal therapy resulted in a personal crisis which she spoke about in an interview with the German magazine Psychologie Heute....
http://www.primals.org/articles/turton12.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:00 pm 

Searching,
Thank you for providing more information about Martin Miller's view of his mother's history. Where you wrote: childhood worth than the later damage, I think you meant "childhood worse than the later damage". I have often wondered whether AM should have allowed that traumas later in life could magnify the consequences of childhood maltreatment, but I don't have any certainty about it.
Searching wrote:
... so actually I am not so easily in rage , because you see things different as I do
Probably Martin has been trying to make some sense of why AM treated him so unreasonably for a large part of his life. Maybe his intellectual analysis was a way of defending against deep emotional pain. I feel sadness that AM's error in recommending Stettbacher and Martin's revelations eclipsed the valuable parts of her work.

Report this post