wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: New Primal Book
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:27 am 
I don't get it, Dennis. In both places it just says "moved to The Media," nothing else. And in both places the topic is locked. If I hadn't read it earlier I wouldn't know what it was all about. Phil provided this link:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book ... 95-36514-0

To Phil:

What an interesting find! How did you come across it? It's quite remarkable for a number of reasons. To start with, it's the first new book about primally oriented therapy since The Biology of Love in 2000. And although it's only 94 pages, 38 of them are available to read online. I saved them to my hard drive. It will take a while to read through the material carefully and digest it.

Secondly, Jim Pullaro relates primal theory to recent brain research by LeDoux and others in a systematic way. At the end of the introductory chapter he includes the address of Joseph LeDoux's website. Biology of Love contained chapters presenting an overview of brain anatomy but references to bona fide research were scattered and patchy.

Thirdly, Jim Pullaro discusses Ellie Van Winkle's Toxic Mind Hypothesis on page 30. One of the frustrating things about Janov's writings is that he doesn't acknowledge that anybody else has contributed anything useful to primal theory. I think that's one of the reasons why he has been left out in the cold by the members of the conventional psychotherapy establishment.

* Mojo *

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, sorry about that, I wasn't aware if I edit one message, the other one is also automatically being changed. Good that you still had the link.

Sorry Phil, good link! Just wanted to move it here. I'm going to remove the other ones.

Dennis

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:37 am 

Hi Mojo
I have known Jim for several years and had some sessions with him and have found him to be very helpful. He is very knowledgable and has intersting ideas. Since he is also located fairly close by for me. chances are I will continue to do work with him.

He also did a doctorate thesis concerning primal which can be found on the IPA website at this link.

http://www.primals.org/pubarchives.html#theses

There also is some information about him on the IPA website in the referrals section. I just found out this week about this book and it was a surprise for me. I haven't looked it over. I intend to order a copy so that I can read it at my convenience. I think it is great that someone else is writing about primal and I feel very enthusiastic about it

Phil

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 pm 
Ouch! The text in those scans is tiny. I did a search and discovered that MSN has a cached copy of the Ph.D. thesis. It's slightly shorter than the book at 73 pages, but in the cached copy it's all-in-one (you might have to click your browser's refresh button):

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=2842358760576

The thesis is written in a slightly more academic style, but it has all the references at the end. The Joseph Ledoux URL is:

http://www.cns.nyu.edu/home/ledoux/overview.htm

ian copeland

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:10 am 

I ordered Jim Pullaro's book and have read most of it. I think it is a great update on primal theory.
The part I especially like so far is where he talks about there being two types of memory; "sensorimotor/emotional" and "conceptual" or "contextual". According to him primal or fear memories are of the first type.
The book pulls in information from a variety of sources, I highly recommend it.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]