wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:15 am 

There have been violent protests today in India's capital, Delhi, after a seven-year-old was sexually assaulted at a school. Protesters attacked buses and pelted police with stones.

It has taken a long time for the sh*t to hit the fan over child sex abuse in India, but it looks as if the Wall of Silence is breaking down at last. BBC news story with photos....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21626210

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm 

@ psychosceptic:
I agree. To call oneself a "survivor" is another way of saying "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger!" - Didn't Alice Miller cite that quotation from Nietzsche as the ethos of poisonous pedagogy? (Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.) Part of the role of psychotherapy in society is to put the toxic effects of abuse in quarantine. Examine it all in a secluded setting outside the wall, so as not to shake the foundations. Therapists telling clients to cry and scream in a sound-proof room is the ultimate manifestation. That way the walls of Jericho remain safe.

The latest news about abuse in India....

1. One of the bus rapists committed suicide in prison yesterday.

2. Over the past week Al Jazeera has published quite a few articles about two topics.... child abuse in India, and violence against women throughout South East Asia. I won't bore you with links to all the articles, but a couple of them are notable. Al Jazeera Television is broadcasting a programme about the problem of rape:

Quote:
Also joining South2North is Dr Amelia Kleijn, who wrote her PhD thesis on the profile of men who rape children under the age of three years old. Kleijn's intense interviews and qualitative approach has given her insight into what creates a man who can act so violently towards helpless children.

"The things that resonated most strongly for me were two things. One was the appalling level of physical abuse that these men were subjected to and the other was that they had no emotions. They are what we would call psychopaths - and this was linked to the beatings they received as children. They learnt to shut down .... They couldn't empathise with anyone else."

Redi, Esack and Kleijn discuss if socio-economic issues can effect levels of rape and how we can raise boys to not repeat patterns of violence.
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/sou ... 74988.html

There is a striking contrast with the much better situation in China, which borders the countries mentioned in the programme.

Another story highlighted the epidemic of missing children who end up in the sex trade:

Quote:
There were a total of 33,098 crimes reported against children in 2011, of which 15,284 were kidnapping cases.
Child activists blame the missing children phenomenon on a number of reasons, from organised traffickers to families eager to dump their daughters, whom they see as a liability.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 66148.html

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]