wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm 

What I wrote in the "We've come a long way" topic about parents valuing their children came from Chinese newspapers with English-language editions on the web, and Western newspapers with foreign correspondents based in China. But the situation is not perfect. Since Deng Xioping's economic reforms, two classes of citizens have emerged. In cities, average incomes are much higher than in rural areas.

Rural families are seldom granted permits which would allow them to become residents in cities. But they go to cities anyway - as migrant workers - to earn more money. Their children won't be given places in city schools or receive free healthcare. They can only get those benefits in their official place of residence in the provinces. Not everyone can arrange for their children to stay with relatives in their home village. The result.... migrant parents who value their children create unofficial community schools. Bad parents, I suppose, encourage their children to work in factories.

Searching,
Deutsche Welle has published an article about this problem in English (it has 30 languages), but I couldn't find a German version. Maybe you will know how to find it.
http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,16072563,00.html

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Children in China
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:21 pm 

Today I am very happy because after many unsuccessful attempts I found a Chinese government website which has published China's child protection laws in English. Now I can write an article for law students and human rights organizations on my blog. That's the purpose of the blog.... to make it easy to find official information that's hard to find using Google.

At the same time I found some Chinese news sites which might be of interest to Searching:

http://german.beijingreview.com.cn/ (Deutsch)

http://german.china.org.cn/ (Deutsch)

http://www.womenofchina.cn/ (English)

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm 

PHOTO:
Zhang Jiahe, 11 years old, a reporter from "Chinese Teenagers News" (circulation 500,000 nationwide), attracts the attention of Minister of Housing and Urban-Rural Development Jiang Weixin during the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China. November 2012.

Another reporter from "Chinese Teenagers News", Sun Luyuan, a primary school student from Beijing, attracted public attention after she asked Minister of Education Yuan Guiren a question about the quality of school food. Sun Luyuan cares about education for students in less-developed regions and said she had found hope in a speech made by President Hu Jintao.

Quote:
"Grandpa Hu said in his speech that the Party is to enhance educational fairness, and I can't agree more," she said, adding that children in rural areas cannot enjoy the same quality of education as urban students.

"I have been to some countryside primary schools, and there are neither libraries nor sports fields in some of them," she said. "The kids in underdeveloped regions should enjoy the same rights of education."

The news report: http://www.china.org.cn/china/18th_cpc_ ... 118195.htm

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 pm 

Searching wrote:
Do you need the German version of the article for your own work?

Thank you for the offer, but it's not necessary. When I look at the visitor statistics for the blog I find visitors from countries with many different languages. It would be very difficult to offer translations for all of them. English is the most widely used international language, followed by French and then Spanish. At school, we were taught only French. In Italy Milan Polytechnic University started teaching all classes in English. In India also, all university teaching is in English.

I find it very encouraging how many visitors from India read my articles. More than from some countries where English is the first language. China is where attitudes have changed the most. Unfortunately, in many Third World countries the situation is still very bad for children. In the developing world - nations with growing economies - India has the worst record on children rights (and parental attitudes). In the developed world, Mexico and the USA have the worst record. But, to be fair, many of America's 51 states have a very good record, while the situation in the Bible Belt states causes the overall picture to look bad. No country is perfect. Both the UK and Denmark have been criticized recently because their juvenile justice systems don't adhere to the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Searching wrote:
Reading English text only makes me problems, when I have to hurry, or when there are some special kinds of complication in the English written text. And I must admit, that there are some mistakes in everything, what I wright in English language. I try to find the time for looking into my dictionary. That slows my communication with this forum a little bit down. Hopefully I reach a higher level of English speaking in some months.

If you weren't aiming to improve your English it would only take one second to translate German to English using http://translate.google.de/ Teaching languages was not given a high priority when I was at school. Probably it was the same in all English-speaking countries. Hopefully the situation has improved since I was at school. I have a German/English dictionary, but German grammar is difficult for me (Deutsche/Deutsch - noun/adjective confusion).

A quick question - which really belongs in the "New German Law" topic.... Does NetzwerkB.org have a forum, like Walls of Silence?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

Searching wrote:
I hope, the German author of the article is wrong in the point, that the children of these people have almost no chance for reaching their professional aims (or a higher social position).

Probably it's a true picture for migrants who take their children to the cities.... until there is more economic progress. But the prospects are probably better if they arrange for their children to stay with relatives in their home village. Today I read an article in Al Jazeera about the rural/urban inequality problem:

Quote:
It has been eight years since Zhang and her husband left their lives as farmers in rural Henan province and set sail for up-and-coming Suzhou Industrial Park. Their hope was to take at least one step up the ladder of Chinese society - from farmer to migrant - and, if life treated them well, to the aspiring middle class.

"When we came to Suzhou, we had to leave our two children with my parents in the Henan Province because of the hukou restrictions," Zhang says. "There was no way we could have paid for our children's schooling and health care in the city with
our wages. Then we might as well have stayed farmers."

But the income she earns in Suzhou has enabled her to pay for her daughter's education. Now her oldest daughter studies engineering at university. "I couldn't be prouder," Zhang beams. Her hard work as a waitress, kitchen assistant and cleaner has finally paid off. Zhang's daughter is aiming for the middle class.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 49526.html

According to America's National Intelligence Bureau, the size of China's economy will overtake the USA within 15 years. Probably Chinese citizens will not wish for a social uprising when prosperity becomes more equally distributed.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]