wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: We've come a long way
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Saw this picture of an old newspaper clipping. Some day we would read with the same disgust about spanking children...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 pm 

My guess is that these unpleasant men were regularly spanked hard by their mothers. Instead of acknowledging that beating children is wrong they preferred to take revenge on substitute women.

Probably not so many people who visit the forum are interested in the growth of legal protections for children, but as there are hardly ever any posts from anyone apart from you and me I might as well post news items from time-to-time.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:11 pm 

Child maltreatment still occurs in all countries of the world to a greater or lesser extent. But if want to know the extent to which cultural attitudes towards children have changed in the past two decades Psychohistory.com's website is a completely worthless resource.

Alice Miller started writing books 40 years ago, and Lloyd DeMause started half a century ago. Both of them lost track of changing public attitudes after 1990. That was the decade in which the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child became the most widely ratified human rights treaty in history. Even Taiwan, which is prevented from joining the U.N. by China's veto, adopted it:

http://www.cbi.gov.tw/CBI_2/internet/english/

Report this post
 Post subject: Quick update
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 pm 

Quick update:

The Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children recently added Albania to the list of countries which have laws against spanking by parents:

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pa ... tates.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

From a historical point of view, it's interesting where we are coming from. Slowly a minority of people get more aware. Until enough people force the changes that need to be made and the rest of society follows. There are really interesting things happening in these times, so I'm hopeful again. As long as we talk about children as a separate race and not seeing them as they are, namely us, then it's a big mountain to climb.

Social change comes slow, for some reason. 2500 years ago, Plato already figured out a lot what was wrong with society. Did that change anything radically? He's still remembered, but so is Jesus. There's the missing link but nowadays, I believe that Janov is the closest to the truth of human behavior, then any other author.

I suppose, changing one's mindset, is just a first step. The second big step is changing your environment.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 am 

The Psychohistory.com website provides no information for members of the public who want to participate in activist groups.... what I would call "changing the environment".

For the United States, I've compiled a list of more than 100 organizations - at the national, state and county levels - that campaign against child abuse. The Rainbird Foundation is just one of them (rainbirdfoundation.org/vision). I've seen Facebook pages for dozens of such organizations in America. There's one in Indiana that's asking for volunteers to act as 'helping witnesses' for abused kids & over-stressed parents (I hope they're good at screening out pedos!). I also have information about two more organizations in Indiana.

Did you read the post about the world's youngest mayor (female) in Palestine? Lloyd DeMause's writings might give the impression that Palestinian children frequently become suicide bombers.... No mention of the well documented atrocities committed by the Israeli side.... which fueled fanaticism. Look what was done to this young woman. Could it be that Lloyd has some Southern Redneck blood in his veins? If that were true, one would expect him to be anti-UN as well.

Each suicide bombing incident was surrounded by media attention, but I wondered how many in total. According to the Israel Defense Forces (shabak.gov.il/english)....

* Since the beginning of violence in the Al-Aqsa Intifada in 2000, 29 suicide attacks were carried out by youths under the age of 18.

* Attempted suicide bombings (thwarted) involved fewer than 50 youths under the age of 18.

Less than 100 over the whole period. In other words, it's not a typical characteristic of young Palestinians. Consider the number of school shootings by teenagers in the USA over the same period. Un-typical violent behavior occurs in all societies (even Norway). Various types of poisonous pedagogy by parents are much more widespread. It would make a bigger change to the environment of children worldwide to tackle those first.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 am 

I mentioned that Lloyd DeMause ignores well-documented Israeli human rights abuses in the occupied West Bank. But that's not all.... his site has lots of material about female circumcision, but nothing about the male variety. He doesn't even acknowledge that male circumcision exists outside of Darfur! .... Could it be that Lloyd DeMause is Jewish himself?

So on the Psychohistory.com site we find a subject about which there's a Wall of Silence.

Mein Körper gehört mir = My body belongs to me

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hi psychosceptic,
Yes, even well known child advocates can have their blind spots. This reply is for 'searching' also. Consider these facts....

Suicide bombings by youths - the entire world total:

Palestine's West Bank....
Since the start of the Intifada in 2000 = less than 100

Afghanistan....
Since the U.S. invasion in 2001 = less than 100

Iraq....
Since the U.S. invasion in 2003 = less than 100

All other countries in the world combined....
Since the start of this century = A lot less than 100

Circumcisions of male babies since the start of this century = approximately 150 million (BBC)

Which issue would you say deserves the most attention?

A sense of proportion

Of all the different forms of child maltreatment - in worldwide terms - here is an estimate of the most frequent:

No. 1 - Corporal punishment by parents
No. 2 - Corporal punishment by teachers
No. 3 - Forced circumcision of boys
No. 4 - Emotional and psychological abuse of children
No. 5 - Sexual abuse of children

We know which one was never challenged by Alice Miller.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm 

searching wrote:
I also read, that Sigmund Freud decided against circumcision of his sons

Alice Miller married a Roman Catholic refugee from Poland, so maybe her son Martin Miller was not circumcised either. Probably you already know about the Der Spiegel interview with Alice Miller's son Martin in 2010. The newspaper didn't translate it into English for Spiegel International. A translated version was posted on a forum last October:

http://board.freedomainradio.com/forums ... 52757.aspx

Quote:
Spiegel: In your last approach, shortly before her death, did your mother ask for forgiveness?
Miller: That was the positive experience when my mother died. I'm glad she did that. Now her work is also credible to me. This has radically changed my perspective on her work.
Spiegel: Were you brought up according to her anti-pedagogical ideas?
Miller: We had an intense relationship. We discussed a lot. I did not realize so much of the anti-educational ideas my mother developed later.
Spiegel: Was there slapping?
Miller: Regarding my father, yes.
Spiegel: Was your mother a witness, when your father was physically abusive to you?
Miller: Yes.
Spiegel: What did your father do to you?
Miller: That was verbal and physical. Whereas my mother intervened there. Later she separated from him, and I went to a boarding school away from home. I had some issues with him. He was very authoritarian. He was also a child of war in this sense.

Birth Trauma:
As Alice Miller pointed out in Chapter 14 of "For Your Own Good" (Am Anfang war Erziehung) birth trauma with lasting psychological consequences is relatively rare. I can't believe it affects 30% of boys, or even 15% of boys and girls. Even if one takes the postition that most circumcisions don't cause lasting trauma, it's still an issue that belongs in the same league.

Psychosceptic, your response reminded me of something.

If the total world population stayed the same between 1999-2012 that wouldn't mean no children were born. It would mean the number of births matched the number of deaths. If a lifespan is 60 years on average....
6,000 million divided by 60 = 100 million births.
So that's another 15 million circumcised boys to add to the total.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next