wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: child abuse apologists
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

A new study - Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior - draws the usual apologists. At this article at Time, a load of people feel the need to mention that they were spanked as a kid and they spank their kids and there's nothing wrong with them. The following reply is typical for these kind of responses.

One of the comments wrote:
I totally dissagree. I have 2 children and i spank them just like i was spanked as a child. I did not grow up violent or aggressive. Plus i graduated high school with honers and i was on the honer role in college so myself getting spanked didn't affect my IQ in anyway. I have seen children who get the time out treatment and i believe they might actually act out more just for the attention.

I would translate this as: I was being exposed to violence as a child, and now I'm violent and aggressive against my own children, but there's nothing wrong with it because it's not violence because there's nothing wrong with me. Sometimes the walls of ignorance are too big.

Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:41 am 

I suspect most child abuse apologists who post comments on the internet come from the southern states of the USA. The following article gives examples of child-hostile humor in America. There are a couple of images showing anti-child captions... http://sandradodd.com/notfunny

Quote:
"What I seem to have seen is that any disrespect of children, woman or minorities is more open for whatever reasons in the south compared to the north."

I've read the prevalence research for individual countries in the Global Initiative reports, although data isn't available for all countries. Nevertheless, it's clear that the Bible Belt in the USA must be one of the worst places in the world for schoolchildren. Many schools in the southern states use a thick wooden paddle for beating children. NONE of the Bible Belt states have laws against corporal punishment in schools (www.stophitting.com/...statesbanning). Compare that to Somalia.... the report says "Figures provided by the NGO Somalia Child Protection and Development (SOCPD) state that in one study 30% of adults and 40% of children reported some form of beating being administered." .... 40% is a lot less than in the southern states of the USA. These are the only two countries that have not ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq have all banned corporal punishment in schools, although problems outside the school environment are yet to be addressed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:02 pm 

I always assumed readers of the Huffington Post were more progressive than the "family values" brigade from the Bible Belt. But then I saw a comment by a "HuffPost Super User" after an article about John Lennon damaging his son's hearing by shouting at him. Young Sean had to go to hospital. The comment was: I'm sorry but this is so trivial that it is a non-story. Sean has nothing better to do than tell on his dad? Huh? The HuffPost user is saying that to actually damage a 4-year-old child's hearing with abusive shouting is trivial? Now that's what I call a sick attitude.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose fear of these feelings trigger more responses in forums than actual feelings of contempt for the adult abusing a child. I see a lot of rationalizing and idealizations in the comments, that John Lennon was human. As if that justifies screaming in a child's ears so loud, during eating a meal. He made beautiful music, was probably more human than most other musicians but he was fucked up. Tried it for a while with Janov's Primal Therapy but abandoned after a few months. I'm glad to see Sean speaking out. And what was Yoko's reaction to John's screaming?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals."

Wikiquote says it's from "God in the Dock", 1948, C.S. Lewis. Not my favorite guy for a couple reasons, neither important. Even broken clocks are right twice a day; this is one those times for Lewis. Since he was an apologist himself (for religion), this thing breaks the irony scale.

But I'll see your John Lennon and raise you an entire political ideology. Two of them, really, taking Bruce Levine's position into account, the one saying that left and right are two sides of a single coin that buys not much of anything. I'd say it buys less than nothing in the long run. There's Vachss, too, somewhere on this website asserting that to find a fascist just scratch a leftist. Damn thin coin. Someone seems to have scratched Sweden's current, leftist education minister, for example, ALL to hell. Vachss follows himself saying that political reality is a mobius strip, something that kind of made my heart jump just a little since for years I've figured it was a klein bottle, really, mainly just because the straight line, "coin", x/y axis and even a globe model I came up with end up complete and obvious crap after even a little honest thought. Both the strip and the bottle are unorientable surfaces, see (the bottle can be shown to be composed of mobius strips), and far as I'm concerned that's the point. Trying to figure which way is "up" on unorientable surfaces is simply a waste of time. At least it was for me. So no, I was never able to honestly figure out where I fit, myself, on the bottle or on any other model--saying "I'm right on some issues and left on others" is more BS--I consider myself 'nothing', maybe I'm off the bottle altogether, maybe that's why I imagine I'm able to even see the stupid thing.

But back more to the point: I suppose (Vachss possibly excepted, who knows about somebody like that) it's rare to encounter anyone advocating for childrens' rights that wouldn't describe themselves as 'liberal' or 'progressive'. And that's fine. Call yourselves whatever you want. But--I've hit brick wall after brick wall trying to persuade any of these same self-described types that don't already make the connections regarding all this that a connection even exists. And there are plenty of these people, seeing what they want to see and that's it period. They seem to me to still require permission to "believe" whatever they believe--from the authority of their group (like they're waiting for consensus) or from someone like a properly-credentialed, elected "leader". The small successes (I can think of three, count 'em three) I've had trying to introduce what was for them a new way to look at these moronic power relationships have all been on what's commonly held to be the right: people denigrated their supposed stupidity and rigid close-mindedness. It'd be enough to make me wonder if I weren't already aware the world is overstuffed with reality inversions.

The south is tough in the US. The bible is the most often used excuse, but I think I'll again go along with Vachss in that interview, despite the fact he was talking strictly about incest. I think the same thinking applies to resistance to abandoning corporal punishment: I expect it's related directly to 'property rights'. And to a justifiable. general mistrust of centralized authority. Power to the people after all.

Steve

Report this post