wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Nate Phelps Presentation
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:47 pm 

I'd like to call attention to this transcript http://richarddawkins.net/article,3764,Nate-Phelps-2009-AA-Speech,Nate-Phelps because I believe it may actually have set more thinking people's wheels in motion than anything I have seen lately. Note that it is in a section of this site called "Religion as Child Abuse". http://richarddawkins.net/cat1_Reason,cat2_Religion-as-Child-Abuse

I think it's significant that Dawkins (if you check the comments following you can see this for yourself) was not at all satisfied with the "explanations" given him for why this man's father was not prosecuted and jailed long ago.

I think it's also significant that at the same convention a man who seems to me to be a standard, "biological model" psychiatrist made his own presentation (video available but I'm unable to look for link, short on time this morning). He and his views seemed to have been well received, but Nate Phelps' speech apparently blew everything else out of the water.

A word about 'therapy': it seems unlikely (or impossible) to me for anyone to expect to 'fix' themselves (or be fixed by someone else) without doing whatever they can (whenever they find themselves a little bit able, at any rate) to fix what's broken 'out there'.

Steve

Report this post