wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooling down babies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

In the large Swedish newspaper Göteborg Posten, an article describes the new trend to treat newborns who have suffered a lack of oxygen, with a technological method of cooling down the baby during its first six hours to prevent further damage in the nerve system and brain. This is how it looks:

This technology probably gets applauded by many because it saves lives. What is causing the lack of oxygen is apparently unimportant. Cutting off the umbilical cord too soon, especially with a problematic birth, and the baby will experience a lack of oxygen. And then to be taken away from its mother and to put in a isolated box is a huge violation and traumatizing of the feelings of the baby. Life is fragile and the way we treat them reflects the way they will live a healthy and satisfied life. How many pregnant mothers learn more about natural birth, for example as is described in Birth Without Violence by Leboyer. Or Kangeroo Mother Care. That, unfortunately, never makes it to the front page.

Dennis

Report this post