wallsofsilence.com

Childhood trauma and its consequences
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: War, what is it good for
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:54 am 
Site Admin

I started a new thread, continuing from this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189&p=1398#p1398
I don't own a copy of Ron Kovic's novel but I'll look for it and will quote that passage in time. It's not just about anti-war, but there are so many other things happening, such as lost ideals, manipulation, abuse, etc. Tom Cruise made an excellent portray of Kovic in the movie. The scene where he pulls out his catheter in front of his mother calling it his penis, is powerful because it shows the denial and shame the mother has and the frustration and hopelessness of Kovic.

I also recommend Stanley Kubrick's anti-war movie Full Metal Jacket, because of the abuse and brainwashing these kids experience and how pointless the purpose is.

When going through my archive of paper clippings today, I found a clipping that I saved from a Dutch newspaper, a letter-to-the-editor during the war in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. I kept it because it was one of the cruelest pieces of information I had read. Before there was Internet (as we know it today). I've translated it:

Everything is black, a tunnel, the hell

I’m still alive, that’s the most important. Many people can’t say the same. I’m not wounded, that’s also important. Many thousands are disabled for the rest of their lives. One horror follows the next. You cannot comprehend it anymore. I have an apartment where I can live. But nevertheless anything can happen to me today or tonight.

I have the feeling that I cannot bear any more suffering. I feel humiliated, worthless. I’m trash. No, trash is at least something. I’m nothing. That’s what they made of us. Of people.

Everything is black. A tunnel, a hole, an abyss, the hell. Despair.

We let it happen. We former Yugoslavians are absolute the stupidest, most primitive idiots walking this earth. We were cattle, like a flock of tame sheep we let ourselves led by a bunch of perverts, brutes, pariahs, bandits, swindlers, extremists and fanatics…

They have destroyed our country, our lives and everything we had. I don’t believe in anything anymore. Not even in a miracle. Serbs, Croats, Muslims? Ridiculous. I don’t care if they would call me a tractor, just so I can sleep again at night, have enough to eat and can go wherever I want to go.

Below there are a few scenes from Sarajevo.

1. A man walks down the street reading a paper. He folds the paper, puts it in his pocket and pulls from his other pocket a gun and shoots himself in the head.
2. A young student from the Film Academy reports himself voluntarily at a hospital. He gets the task to burn amputated hands and feet. He decided to document his activities. They last 15 minutes each.
3. A cameraman enters a bombarded apartment. The whole building lies in ruin. He walks around a leaning chair and zooms in. In the chair sits a man without a head. He runs outside to tell everyone. A woman faints. The man without a head was her brother.
4. A man enters a room. A grenade shatters. His wife was sleeping in bed. He only recognizes her ankle.
5. A woman in the street gets shot by a sniper. The woman screams. After a long time, a young man tries to approach her. He gets shot as well. He bleeds. No one helps him.
6. A doctors yells at me: “I can’t anymore. Today I amputated a leg and arm of a small boy. Tomorrow I have to amputate his other leg.”
7. The leg of a 4-month-old baby gets amputated. A little film is made where the child is playing with his stump.
8. A boy and girl are missing without a trace. They are searching for them but they remain untraceable. They probably escaped Sarajevo. A month later they find them. Burned.
9. Just outside Sarajevo the bodies of 50 people are found, all killed. Two of the men were speared and roasted on a spit.
10. From actor Nermin Tulic, both legs had to be amputated, the actress Dejana Divljan lost one leg. Photo journalist of the Oslobodjenje Salko Hondo and cameraman Branko Tesanovic were killed by a grenade. The husband of TV announcer Jasminka Sipka was murdered.
11. The 12-year-old son of my neighbor was killed by a grenade. About 20 days later his wife gets killed by a sniper.
12. A married couple hears an explosion. Curiously the look outside the window. The next grenade decapitates them both.

Sarajevo is dead. The spirit and own atmosphere has disappeared. Not a single building is untouched. Remainings of sewer pipes are hanging down at the walls. Everything is covered with soot, filthy, disgusting, repulsive, damp, desolate and ful of tragedy.

(This letter was a letter-to-the-editor from Sarajevo in the paper Borba in Belgrade

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 pm 
The clipping from the Dutch newspaper is gruesome. When I was a small boy I had no conception of the horrors of war. By the time I was around 14-15 years old I had begun to realize. I was completely mystified how one generation after another could be persuaded to support new wars. WW-I was hailed as "The war to end all wars," but WW-II started even while memories were fresh in minds of young parents, not just the older ones. I recoil from war movies, but I do want to know which anti-war writers make a big impact through their skill with words. The two most famous are Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse-Five (which I recently read a second time).

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Slaughter House 5 is a brilliant book. It's my girlfriend's favorite and I think she read it 5 times. In Holland, history of World War II was consistent in all the school years. But seeing books with pictures of the holocaust in the local library at age 15 was horrific. Human beings being processed like objects and stripped from anything that could have a bit of value, and then to be killed of as a 'rest product'. Is there anything worse in our history? My grandfather was in the resistance. As he was a professional artist, he falsified identification cards for some people, which may have saved lives. One story I heard was that one night, when he was drunk, he had painted demon horns on portrays of Hitler in a street. If they had caught him then, he would most probably not have survived it. He died when I was a teenager, but I wish I had known him when I was older to find out more about his history.

Dennis

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]